|Eye of Cthulhu||1||25% / 33.33%|
|Miniature Eye of Cthulhu|
The Deathstare Rod is a Pre-Hardmode summon weapon that drops from the Eye of Cthulhu. It summons a tiny floating eyeball above the player's head that fires lasers towards nearby targets. The eye is able to target and fire through tiles. On hit, the laser deals damage in a tiny area of effect. Unlike most minions, only one Miniature Eye of Cthulhu can be summoned.
Its best modifier is Ruthless. The Mythical modifier provides the widest array of stat bonuses, but these primarily affect the initial summon rather than the resulting minion. Additionally, minions cannot deal critical hits. The only lasting advantage a Mythical Deathstare Rod has over a Ruthless one is knockback.
- The Miniature Eye of Cthulhu emits a soft blue light.
- This light changes to a purplish red during the Blood Moon.
- Due to the summon's ability to attack enemies off-screen, it can trigger the summoning of bosses like the The Hive Mind.
- When used with the spirit glyph, the damage increase of the glyph will stack infinitely on the rod, only being removed when the Miniature Eye of Cthulhu is desummoned, or when the player dies or leaves the world.
- The design and colors of the weapon are based on the Eye of Cthulhu's sprites from the Calamity Texture Pack.
- A "death stare" is an informal term for an annoyed, intimidating, or otherwise hostile gaze directed at another person.