The Shellfish Staff is a Hardmode summon weapon that drops from the Giant Clam mini boss. It summons a Shellfish that follows the player and attacks nearby enemies by attaching itself to them. Each Shellfish takes up 2 minion slots. Shellfish only deal direct damage when initially latching onto an enemy. From there, it inflicts the Shellfish Claps debuff for as long as it remains attached to the enemy. The damage of this debuff is affected by minion damage bonuses, and has a base damage per second of 75 per shellfish attached to an enemy. Up to a max of 5 shellfish can cling to an enemy.
Its best modifier is Ruthless. The Mythical modifier provides the widest array of stat bonuses, but these primarily affect the initial summon rather than the resulting minion. Additionally, minions cannot deal critical hits. The only lasting advantage a Mythical Shellfish Staff has over a Ruthless one is knockback.
- The Shellfish Staff can additionally be obtained from Sunken Crates at a 7% drop chance in Hardmode after the Giant Clam has been defeated.
- Despite this weapon dealing damage via a debuff, it is still affected by the summon damage penalty.
- If an enemy's defense value is higher than 9999 or has a damage reduction of 99.99%, the Shellfish Claps debuff will have no effect.
- Due to its high base damage, this weapon synergizes well with Luxor's Gift, because the projectile it fires will deal considerably higher damage than it would from other summoner weapons that are attainable at the same time as the Shellfish Staff.
- It can cheese The Destroyer very efficiently when attached to his head. It will cause no Probes to spawn, as it is a debuff. However, keep in mind that the fight needs to start almost immediately at night, as it can take a lot of time, and if the fight isn't started quickly enough, The Destroyer could escape or enrage at dawn.