The Shellfish Staff is a Hardmode summon weapon that drops from the Giant Clam mini boss. It summons a Shellfish that follows the player and attacks nearby enemies by attaching itself to them. Each Shellfish takes up 2 minion slots. Shellfish only deal direct damage when initially latching onto an enemy. From there, it inflicts the Shellfish Claps debuff for as long as it remains attached to the enemy. This debuff deals a total of 125 damage per second for every shellfish attached to an enemy. Up to a max of 5 shellfish can cling to an enemy, causing 625 damage every second.
Its best modifier is Ruthless. The Mythical modifier provides the widest array of stat bonuses, but these primarily affect the initial summon rather than the resulting minion. Additionally, minions cannot deal critical hits. The only lasting advantage a Mythical Shellfish Staff has over a Ruthless one is knockback.
- The Shellfish Staff can additionally be obtained from Sunken Crates at a 20% drop chance in Hardmode after the Giant Clam has been defeated.
- If an enemy's defense value is higher than 9999, the Shellfish Claps debuff will have no effect.
- Because this weapon deals damage via a debuff, it is unaffected by the summon damage penalty.
- Due to its high damage, this weapon can be used alongside Luxor's Gift to let the projectile summoned from it deal big amounts of damage.
- Both items will not be affected by the summon damage penalty, so this combination can be used even if the player is not focusing on the summoner class.
- The Shellfish Claps debuff ticks twice as fast as most other debuffs: 10 times per second instead of 5.