"The depths of the underground desert are rumbling..."
The Sunken Sea is an aquatic biome added by the Calamity Mod which spawns upon world creation. It is located directly underneath the Underground Desert. Comprising it is a series of caves almost entirely filled with water, illuminated by glowing blue Prism Shards.
It is filled with numerous sea creatures, most of which are peaceful until provoked, including the Giant Clam mini boss. The biome becomes more populated once Hardmode begins, and several existing enemies receive new abilities and item drops.
It is composed primarily of Navystone and Eutrophic Sand, as well as Prism Shards scattered throughout. Giant floating Geodes are located throughout the biome, which are composed of a Navystone shell and Prism Shards attached to Sea Prisms inside. There will always be a Geode at the center of the entire biome, which is also the largest Geode. A large variety of different corals and other ambient objects also generate in this biome. The Table Corals can be stood on, the Fan Corals produce light, and the Brain Corals can produce bubbles that the player can touch to gain a short Gills buff. Nothing in the Sunken Sea can be broken until the Desert Scourge has been defeated.
Contents[edit | edit source]
If Desert Scourge has been defeated:
From Blinded Anglers:
From Sea Serpents:
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Player-created Sunken Sea biomes are possible by placing more than 150 Eutrophic Sand, Navystone, and/or Sea Prisms in an area.
- The player is also considered to be within the Sunken Sea when standing in front of natural Eutrophic Sand Walls or Navystone Walls.
- It is possible to find Lime Kelp in the Sunken Sea.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Equipping any accessory which allows for extended or infinite underwater breathing, such as the Ocean Crest, will make exploring this biome much easier.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The theme heard while in the Sunken Sea is sanctuary, which was composed by the artist DM DOKURO.
- The Sunken Sea seems to be what remains of the ocean that Calamitas incinerated, according to the lore.
- Many of the enemies or items having the word "Eutrophic" in their names suggests that the Sunken Sea has undergone some degree of eutrophication, which results in an oxygen-depleted environment.
- Oxygen depleted environments can lead to lethargic sea life in the real world, which may explain why the majority of this biome's enemies are passive until provoked.
- Brain Corals producing oxygen bubbles may be a reference to the game Subnautica.
- During the generation of the Sunken Sea in world creation, the message reads "Making the world more wet." This phrase was originally used to tease the implementation of the biome in the mod's changelogs.
Lore[edit | edit source]
All of life was born from the seas. It was from them that sprung the vast multitude of creatures today, though their beginnings were rather humble. Slimes formed out of gelatinous organic matter, and tiny worms from the earth and muck. Fish soon followed, and many fled to the deep unexplored caverns in the lands. Many coasts of the world were riddled with extensive cave systems, going miles deep. These unending tunnels and air pockets gave rise to a marvelous ecosystem. The critters fed, lived, and died in these caverns of darkness lit only by phosphorus bacteria, and radiant crystals. As time passed, and they became more and more adapted to those sheltered caves, there was less and less reason for them to venture outside, and so, centuries passed with no effect on these living remnants of history. They lost their eyes, their complexion, and so, were shaped by their environment. After tectonic shifts in the planet's crust, these subterranean paradises of marine life were isolated deep underground, where the inhabitants would wait, forever blind in the sunken seas.
|Biomes and Structures|
|Biomes||Abyss • Astral Infection • Brimstone Crag • Sulphurous Sea • Sunken Sea|
Cavern • The Corruption • The Crimson • Desert • Dungeon • Glowing Mushroom • The Hallow • Jungle • Jungle Temple • Ocean • Space • Snow • Surface • Underground • The Underworld
|Structures||Arsenal Labs • Evil Island • Planetoid • Shrine|